Friday, April 15, 2016
Recipe: Pesto Pasta with Prawns, Clams & French Beans
- Pasta (I used fusilli)
- Pesto (this one was an organic, gluten-free option from Ryan's Grocery)
- Garlic (peeled and sliced average thickness)
- Olive oil
- Cherry tomatoes (sliced in half)
- French beans (sliced into short batons)
- Clams (soaked in salt water which was changed a few times)
- White wine
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Fresh basil
- Heat up olive oil in a large sauce pan or pot
- Pan-fry prawns until they are about 80% cooked then remove from pan/pot
- Add in French beans and stir-fry for about one minute. Add a little more olive oil if it gets dry.
- Add in garlic slices and stir-fry for about one to two minutes until fragrant
- Throw in the clams (without the salt water) and cherry tomatoes and stir-fry for another minute
- Pour in white wine and scrape the base of the pan/pot to deglaze any browned bits that stick to the base.
- Once it comes to the boil, cover with a lid (preferably see-through lid). The steam contained within the pan/pot will cook the clams, making them pop open.
- Remove the cover once almost all the clams have opened and stir in the cooked pasta and 80%cooked prawns for a minute or so before turning off the heat
- Spoon the pesto into the pasta and add black pepper, salt and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil to taste. Be sure to taste the pesto on its own to determine saltiness as it contains salt and cheese.
- Mix in thinly sliced strips of fresh basil and garnish with a few whole basil leaves.
Chew On This: For those looking for a guide on which pesto to buy, BiTES.com.sg has published a handy review on supermarket pestos!